Consulting Architects of Alberta
Annual General Meeting 2018
- One of our most important initiatives…Pitching Green
- It’s CAA’s commitment to the environment…to “green architecture” in Alberta
Design Impacts the Environment!
- Building operations consume a third of all the energy we produce
- In Edmonton 39% of greenhouse gas emissions come from building operations, with similar rates in Calgary
Pitching Green – Leading Change
- Opportunity! We’re positioned to lead change
- CAA is “Pitching Green”
- Values” questions on survey, e.g. …
- organizational core values?
- membership in Canada Green Building Council?
- certified green projects?
- Responses from architects strongly positive!
How often does your team provide clients with estimated energy consumption and operating costs as part of your services?
- We also had several questions about actual green building practices – as opposed to values. They gave us a different picture.
Factors and Obstacles
- Factors – very or extremely important
- Engaged and motivated clients – 86%
- Strong policies and legislation – 64%
An Emerging Picture
- Values, Practices, Factors, Comments…all paint a picture
- Most Alberta architects are trained in green building practices, value green building practices
- But…cost and clients present challenges
Next Steps…The Challenge
- More Pitching Green
- continued research
- improve website
- build best practices database
- communicate with members…educate clients
- lobby with government
- Influence and knowledge can lead change
We’re in a position to make a difference.
- We understand the value of green architecture….
- We have the knowledge and professional credibility….
- We have an opportunity and a responsibility to lead the change!
To read the full report, click here.